Scales

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s4guy2000

Reaction score
Red Wheelbarrow Brewing Co. - Atlanta, GA
So I have been looking at grain bills and such and I'm very new to the hobby. What is a really good scale that everyone uses? A plain out kitchen scale? Or is there a preferred one. I would prefer to spend the money once and get a good one that will last.

I use a pretty cheap scale sold on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FSWB9K/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

It's plenty accurate for grain and for 1/2 ounces of hops. Accuracy is only to 0.1oz, or you need to switch to grams. Perfect for brewing. Lots of different sellers have them, but check to make sure they include the power supply. Or, just get the cheapest one and head down to RadioShack and pick up a 10V output adapter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Go to a restaurant auction and buy one of the portions scales they are offering. Got 2 of them for 15 bucks and they are pretty accurate.

I use the 11# digital scale from Harbor Freight. Got it on sale for $16 and does gram, Oz and LBS.

The 35# Weightmax accurate plus/minus 0.1 oz considered accurate for a postal rating. Can be had for $16 on ebay buy now vs the crazy Amazon price of $48 plus they stated accurate to 0.2 ounce. To go more accurate plus looking like a drug dealer there's the ProScale 600 Luxe, capacity 600grams, accuracy 0.1gram. This another ebay buy now for $13.79, this thru "Old Will Knott Scales".
I use both with great results, i'm happy for the price.
A power cube comes with the Weightmax, the proScale operates off two AA batteries, cheap vs those flat watch batteries.

Back