Scale for Water Salts/Minerals: Blade?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
After finally calling the local water authority, talking to the guy in the lab and getting him to fax me my actual water report, I'm taking the leap, after almost 3 years of brewing, to real, calculated water adjustments for individual recipes.

So yesterday, I was messing with JP's mash adjustment excel spreadsheet and figured out that, for my BDSA, I should add 9 grams of baking soda and 1.5 grams of calcium chloride to my mash (my RA is really low!), but I was having a hard time measuring grams on my 11 lb capacity OXO scale...nice as it may be.

So I'm wondering if anyone has experience with, for instance, the Blade scale from American Weigh. I found one at Amazon for pretty cheap, and it says it's accurate to 0.1g.

41-8TAi3QfL._SS400_.jpg

My only thought is, even though it says it's by American Weigh, it looks different than the one on their website, and is a lot cheaper. Yeah, it's only 400g capacity rather than 600g, but I don't need a whole lot of cap. here. Is this an impostor? If not, is this a good scale for measuring salts? I would assume so...

Last edited by a moderator:
This is what I use:

Amazon.com: Escali #PR100S Liberta Pocket Scale: Home & Garden

100 grams, .05 accuracy. I used to have the 50g .01, but I dropped it and it never worked again. The one you linked to looks good. I always try to only measure "above" the stated accuracy. ie, on my .05 scale, I'll always do my salt additions in .1 gram increments. on a .1 scale, I'd round to .2 or maybe even .5.

Last edited by a moderator:
My blade 600g X 0.1g scale showed up today. Pretty badass...and tiny!

Thanks for the advice on rounding up or down, bakins. I'll keep that in mind...though it's rare that I'll need to go to below .5g accuracy.

Yeah .5 for salts is pretty good. anything less precise than that is just not worth it, IMO. I have a .05 scale,but do my salts in .1 and so far, so good.

Back