"Saying it in your outside voice" Tips for new members/venting and/or entertainment for regular HBTers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Take a look at this thread on another XenForo forum that I am a member of.

I'm not saying that everyone who joins and then resurrects a zombie thread is a spammer, but it seems this is a common strategy for spammers to slip in unwanted links.
Yes, it is a common spammer technique, but we at HBT are pretty good at deleting those posts before they go live. Our methods aren't perfect however.

doug293cz

:agressive::agressive::agressive::agressive::agressive::agressive::agressive::agressive::agressive::agressive::agressive::agressive::agressive::agressive::agressive::agressive::agressive::agressive:

Let's see.... Registering to ask a question, yeah sure though doing a search to find an answer is better.....
Why register as a new user, search out a dead thread and then ask a question that was answered if you actually bothered to read the necro-thread you resurrected!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Why register as a new user, search out a dead thread and then ask a question that was answered if you actually bothered to read the necro-thread you resurrected!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
Because they are special. No one could have possibly had this weird issue before. I mean, just look at this fermentation cap! That cannot possibly be normal! Yeah, it is their first batch but that is not what they expected.

I think I was reading for a couple years before registering. I read so many answers of clean everything, be patient, use nutrient. I decided to not look like an idiot and shut up....

Been a few zombie threads resurrected this week...giggled a bit when I read my 2018 response to a beginner's post. I had just started brewing consistently decent beers after several abject failures, dotted with some good beers, and thought I knew a LOT. 4 years later and I know more....than I did then.

OO OO OO so i just had a thought for a MAJOR money-making idea. You're all gonna love it. Wait for it....

PICTURE BOOKS. Pictures of every aspect of homebrewing. With words of one syllable describing what's in the pictures. For example:

Dick's home brewed beer has white flecks on top. Dick is scared his home brewed beer is bad and Jane will laugh at him. What should Dick do?

DICK SHOULD READ HOMEBREWTALK AND FIND OUT THOSE FLECKS ARE YEAST RAFTS FROM A ZILLION OTHER POSTS.

And somebody could draw little cartoons of yeasties floating on actual rafts. Not me, I can't draw for sh*t.

Anyone interested in a gofundme????? Wait a minute...there ARE pictures of yeast rafts....with descriptions...all over this site. Nemmind.

i was having trouble with that....is it Oh, Oh...Oh, Oh...Oh, Oh... Or is it Oh, Oh, Oh? ;)

or is it ew, ew, ew..which strangley i can't remember how to spell right....

edit: that was a crack, to a crack...because, i've been brewing since 1996, and sometimes i forget it's not an instinct. but i get kinda a warm feeling when someone like a little baby asks questions like that. i don't have kids of my own, but i imaging that's like when a toddler says their first word....

Last edited:
Difference between a guage and an airlock. Guages measure things and airlocks are one way valves. Airlocks do not measure when fermentation has started, finished, or anything else. They don't measure anything at all. They just keep your beer sanitary and allow co2 to escape without blowing up your fermenter.

Next lesson, hydrometers.
Yeah and if you get a strong fermentation going you might even blow it out or a least get some blow bye.😬

A lot of the time it depends on the question.. If to OP is asking about wiring their control panel but just happens to mention something like "I can't wait to be splashing that wort into my fermenter!" .. they're likely to ignite 3 pages, possibly with heated arguments about oxidation. :p
Oxidation oxygenation same thing who cares😊

I would think Ikea kits would be all-grain with the cheapest grain possible... something that would take you a while to put together, and STILL come out bad.
And just like every other Ikea thing we've bought, there would be leftover ingredients at the end that you have no idea where they were supposed to go.

Oh yeah, I'm gonna do it, necrobumping this thread AND going OT.
But why do so many "foreigners" complain about IKEA furniture being hard to assembly? To me they are pretty intuitive, heck it's basically the national sport here in Sweden to get as far as possible in the assembly without even opening the instructions...

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I'm gonna do it, necrobumping this thread AND going OT.
But why do so many "foreigners" complain about IKEA furniture being hard to assembly? To me they are pretty intuitive, heck it's basically the national sport here in Sweden to get as far as possible in the assembly without even opening the instructions...
I Love assembling Ikea without the instructions! I wanted to post a youtube vid of the "Chaser's War On Everything" doing their Ikea returns of badly assembled items, but it looks like they scrubbed them off the site.. :p This is the perfect excuse to use the new gif feature though.. I found one that seems to explain the problem some people have:
ikea GIF

i was looking for what i'm listing too now, but saw this thread...and had a thought

as a tip to new members that can't brew good, and just want to hang out with other homebrewers...i've learned not to talk about brewing!

I like to peruse the Beginners forum just as much as the next person, but too often I find myself yelling at the screen; here are a few gems:

1. NO SECONDARY NEEDED!!
2. THAT THREAD IS 11 YEARS OLD DO YOU NOT KNOW WHAT THE DATE IS??? YER NOT GONNA GET A GOOD ANSWER!!
3. YEAST RAFTS!! THEY ARE EFFING YEAST RAFTS!!!
4. PUNCTUATION!! Too much or none!! Run-on sentences give me ulcers.
5. YOU ASKED A QUESTION AND GOT AN ANSWER, TELL US WHAT HAPPENED!!!!
6. YOU ASKED A QUESTION, GOT AN ANSWER (or several) AND STILL DID WHAT YOU WEREN'T SUPPOSED TO DO!!!
7. YOUR HIBISCUS HONEY CHOCOLATE SPICED GOSE AGED IN A 17TH CENTURY FUNERAL URN is a very poor choice for your very first beer, TRY SOMETHING SIMPLE FIRST!!!

I will admit that if I see the poster is from a foreign (to me) country I feel bad for yelling.

Y'all are gonna see a lot more posts from me now that I'm unemployed, kinda. I do have a phone interview next week with a company that I'd really like to work with, but I told them I can't start until 1/9/23. Mama needs a vacation to completely clean the house and the garage.

There are very few absolutes....

I like to peruse the Beginners forum just as much as the next person, but too often I find myself yelling at the screen; here are a few gems:

1. NO SECONDARY NEEDED!!
2. THAT THREAD IS 11 YEARS OLD DO YOU NOT KNOW WHAT THE DATE IS??? YER NOT GONNA GET A GOOD ANSWER!!
3. YEAST RAFTS!! THEY ARE EFFING YEAST RAFTS!!!
4. PUNCTUATION!! Too much or none!! Run-on sentences give me ulcers.
5. YOU ASKED A QUESTION AND GOT AN ANSWER, TELL US WHAT HAPPENED!!!!
6. YOU ASKED A QUESTION, GOT AN ANSWER (or several) AND STILL DID WHAT YOU WEREN'T SUPPOSED TO DO!!!
7. YOUR HIBISCUS HONEY CHOCOLATE SPICED GOSE AGED IN A 17TH CENTURY FUNERAL URN is a very poor choice for your very first beer, TRY SOMETHING SIMPLE FIRST!!!

I will admit that if I see the poster is from a foreign (to me) country I feel bad for yelling.

This is in the general forum, and I always secondary my ciders. And my wines. But no, not the beers.

And not that it is relative, but i have found anything with hibiscus seems to turn out well. it seems tooo easy, I often wonder if there are extra nutrients in the hibiscus tht make for a clean fermentation.

And now my brain is stuck wondering what chracteristics 17th century funeral urn would impart... Some days I really hate reading this stuff.... Is the urn wooden, or pewter (bad choice) or what?

we also need to know who's ashes were in it!

and now i just thought a funny thought of using them in a green sand filter canister, like a hop thingy... think the feds would frown if i tried opening a goth bar?

And now my brain is stuck wondering what chracteristics 17th century funeral urn would impart... Some days I really hate reading this stuff.... Is the urn wooden, or pewter (bad choice) or what?
Urns are only good for small batches so it should be cheap to do a test batch... once you've worked out the details you can move on to a 17th century chamber pot.
:ghostly:

YOUR HIBISCUS HONEY CHOCOLATE SPICED GOSE AGED IN A 17TH CENTURY FUNERAL URN is a very poor choice for your very first beer, TRY SOMETHING SIMPLE FIRST!!!

Please.
Everyone knows Hibiscus is so passe in a gose. All us hipsters have moved on to drywall.

But on a less smarta$$ery note, I for one, have many times wished that an OP had come back to report.

Back