Say I need 1lb of three popular hops...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtb178

Reaction score
Simcoe, Amarillo, Centennial.

Where do I go?

1. Wait for harvest to arrive, and hope they're available. From which vendors, and how much should I expect to pay?

2. Try to make substitutes.
Centennial: 75 Cascade/25 Columbus
Amarillo: 66 Cascade/33 Columbus
Simcoe: ??

3. Find alternative hops?
Summit (for Simcoe)
??

Just thinking out loud, but am hoping to get more into American IPA styles for brewing, and would like to make my life easier rather than harder. Trying to track down hop substitutions can be a bit of a pain.

Thanks everyone.

I've seen 2012 amarillo and centennial out already, so Simcoe probably isn't far behind. If you shop around, you should be able to find them all under $15 per lb.

well you didn't say whether you prefer pellet or leaf, but hopsdirect.com has all three of those in leaf available right now for $12-$15/lb. Order away, I have. I'll do another when the pellets are available.

Yep, I got my supply at freshops.com.

The amarillo was the most expensive, at $1.60/ounce.

I just looked at hopsdirect, and the 2012 amarillo is already sold out! And so is the 2012 centennial.

Freshops still has them, but only in leaf (as that is all they sell).

Thanks everyone. Ive never used leaf, so I think I'll wait for pellets. Will have to keep an eye out for them.

Thanks for the note on Amarillo, picked up some.....rather know I am getting some then pay $3+ an ounce later.

Back