Saving Rye Ale - A Lesson in Preparation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amarillo4BRKFST

Reaction score
Hello fellow beer enthusiasts and brewers: I have made a terrible mistake. I began hopping my rye pale ale with the hop schedule I allotted to an IPA I was planning on brewing.... and realized it 55 minutes into the boil.

I believe this is a salvageable situation. I am curious however how the lot of you would react given my current situation....
I threw in 1oz of 16.3 AA Columbus for an hour - and .5oz of Amarillo & Centennial for 15 min and 1oz of Amarillo for 5 min. In hindsight; I should have done more flameout additions of centennial or Amarillo to make the hop flavor similar to what my IPA was supposed to be. I failed to capitalize on this opportunity.

So my options are thus:

Dry hop the **** out of it with the Am / Cen I would have used for my IPA
Dry hop the **** out of it with the Sterling I was planning on using (weird? I kind of think so.)
Make a hop tea/priming solution at bottling with either of these two hop options

Please provide some thoughts - I would be very appreciative.

This actually sounds delicious. I would just dry hop with the Cascade/Amarillo. This is very similar to a hop schedule that I used for a RyePA and it turned out great. I did an ounce at 10, and ounce at FO, then dry hopped with 2 oz (Cascade, Columbus, Chinook).

Awesome suggestion - both hopping & name. I wanted to incorporate the movie into the thread but was pretty f'in tired when I wrote it and the creative juices were not flowin.

I do happen to have ~4 oz of cascade on hand so they will certainly make an appearance in Saving Pryevate Rye'n

I promised to report results and so here I am:

well attenuated, but hop flavor was muted a little by this being the last beer I made without adequate temp control. left it on the yeast for a while and dry hopped for 4 days in a secondary with some C hops.

Some palates that were more 'calibrated' than mine tasted some grapefruit from the hops after I had stopped being able to. Thank you for the suggestions and feedback.

Back