"Saving" Hoppy Beers by holding off dry-hopping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerkbag

Reaction score
Hi All,

Does anyone have any tips for 'saving' hoppy beers that won't get drunk for a while after brewing? I like the convince of being able to brew double batches, but it will be awhile before the second batch will get kegged / drunk. Anyone tried leaving in the primary for 4-5 weeks and only dry-hopping just before packaging?

Does anyone have any tips for 'saving' hoppy beers that won't get drunk for a while after brewing?

Yea be better on the cold side. Flavor degradation on the cold side is directly attributive to the pick up of oxygen in post fermented beer.

Hi All,

Does anyone have any tips for 'saving' hoppy beers that won't get drunk for a while after brewing? I like the convince of being able to brew double batches, but it will be awhile before the second batch will get kegged / drunk. Anyone tried leaving in the primary for 4-5 weeks and only dry-hopping just before packaging?

Keg sooner, rather than later, to avoid oxidation. Keep cold to slow down the aging process.

I leave my beer in the fermenter for 3 weeks . I dry hop the last 3 days or so of that 3 week time period then package . So yeah I've had better results dry hopping at the end right before packaging then when i dry hopped as fermentation ended. The hops are fresher and they pop more .

I used to dry hop right after primary fermentation ended. Now I've shifted to dry hopping a few days or so before kegging. Much stronger hop aroma, and less of a "hop matter" type of taste in the brew.

I've been keg hopping. I use one of those hop canisters and rack right onto it in the keg. There is some cloudiness for a while, but the hop flavor is great. :bigmug:

Back