Quantcast

Saved it?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

frozennorth

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
At the end of my brew day I was excited to use my new coil chiller. So excited in fact that I forgot my late LME addition, the bulk of the LME. I did not realize my mistake until the carboy was in the fermentation chamber and went to clean. My spur of the moment solution was to boil the remaining 5 lbs of LME in about half a gallon of water for 10 min. Let it cool to 70 in an ice bath and then added it to the carboy. Outside of a drop in ABV, which was already high for a saison, do you think that I should be okay? My thought is RDWHAHB, but who knows, others may have made the same boneheaded move.

KW9375

Reaction score
I forgot the LME once, but remembered with 25 minutes left in the boil. I just added it then and continued with hops schedule. It ended up being a delicious brew. I think you'll be fine. For whatever it's worth...I had already had quite a few brews when I started the boil, so I wasn't really on top of my game, so to speak. LOL! Since then, I write sticky notes with whatever additions I have at each time interval. Helps keep it simpler for when the beer you're drinking starts to take its toll. :) Did you take an OG reading after you added the LME to carboy?

OP
frozennorth

frozennorth

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I was so happy to have it all done that I did not take an OG, I will check out what Beersmith says. I went to check on it this morning and realized that I should have used a blow off tube. The DIPA last week got a blow off, this is the one that actually need it. Simple cleanup and the blow off tube is installed. It is churning like crazy.

OP
frozennorth

frozennorth

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Now that the DIPA is out of the fermenter, I have ratcheted the temp up to 80 and gave the carboy a shake or two. I shall see if late higher temps can bring out any more yeast character.

OP
frozennorth

frozennorth

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
That Belle Saison yeast is a monster, it finished at 1.004. Crazy. The sample tasted great. I guess that I will enter it in the comp as planned and see what happens.