Save the Beer! Over Attenuated Dead Guy AG Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rivertranced

Reaction score
We brewed our first all grain batch a couple of weeks ago. It was a comedy of errors, but we learned a lot and our second go-round was quite a bit smoother (though not perfect!).

Upon racking the first batch (Dead Guy clone) to the secondary, it seemed over-attenuated. Not only did we overshoot our FG (down to 1.006 when we expected 1.010), but it tastes super dry and bitter, without any body or sweetness. I think it will be worse after time in the secondary.

I think the primary driver of this error was too low of a mash temp. I am using a keggle for my MLT and am having a hard time keeping a consistent mash temp.

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for what I can do to the Dead Guy clone to make it more drinkable. 5+ gallons of this badboy will not be a delight as is. I was thinking of a dry hop, perhaps something citrusy or floral. Any other thoughts?

That's not that much difference in FG. I've screwed up enough beers by trying to "save" them that now I just accept them for they are and either drink them or toss them. My advice would be to drink this batch and try again. Also, I'd guess it will be better, not worse, given more time.

What recipe did you use? Maybe that's the problem.

Dry hopping will not add body or sweetness.

Wait until it is carbonated and chilled before deciding it is thin. It generally tastes watery and bitter when it's warm and flat.

What about a little maltodextrin?

This will work to some degree. I've adjusted a couple of beers that finished too dry with MD and it's made them a lot better. Personally, I wouldn't go for more than 2 points - being one of the simpler of the complex sugars it does have a little sweetness.

Wait until it is carbonated and chilled before deciding it is thin. It generally tastes watery and bitter when it's warm and flat.

Usually it works the other way - carbonation will accenuate bitterness and thinness. But you are right, wait until it's carbonated and chilled before making a final decision. I'd also give it a couple of weeks after packaging which can do wonders for balance.

To the OP - do you keg? If so I would carbonate and chill and age for a couple of weeks, taste it again and see what you think. If it's no better take a few samples and add different amounts of MD to them, if that works scale up for the full keg.

If that doesn't work, harden up and drink it :p

I think age will probably help this out a lot. +1 to waiting untill it is fully carbed (3+ weeks) and chilled (week in fridge).

This will work to some degree. I've adjusted a couple of beers that finished too dry with MD and it's made them a lot better. Personally, I wouldn't go for more than 2 points - being one of the simpler of the complex sugars it does have a little sweetness.

Maltodextrin is about as bland and unsweet as it comes for carbohydrates. It should add some body but not any sweetness. Any tiny bit of sugar will completely ferment out and quickly. I've seen recommendations of up to a pound of maltodextrin per 5 gallon batch. Couldn't hurt but you could just suck it up and put that $3 toward your next batch.

Thanks for the solid advice as always, all!

I do keg, so I'll plan to carb and chill this, give it a few weeks and see how it looks then. I thought it might be easier to address the issue now before it's under pressure, but I probably am jumping the gun. Hopefully it will be a pleasant surprise!

FWIW, this was the AHS Dead Guy Clone. Although I realize the kegged version will taste very different, at racking this beer did not seem even in the same style. I'm 100% sure this was my fault, and not the recipe's.

I'll keep you posted on how it turns out!

Trying it as-is is a good idea, but adding lactose should add both body and a slight sweet edge.

+1 on the waiting. I had a batch go way, way down using WLP026. Going into the secondary it tasted nasty: bitter and harsh like rubbing alcohol. So I waited another 2 weeks, by which time the improvement was noticeable enough that I continued to wait. After about 5-6 weeks in the secondary it was delicious and it continued to get better. I think that one was probably the best batch I ever brewed. I wouldn't add a thing yet. You might be sitting on a fine piece of work.

Latest posts

Back