Satsuma Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobbybeef

Reaction score
Strawberrys are not ready but we had a bumper crop of satsumas this past summer so this winter i peeled about 10 pounds worth of fruit so i figured we got plenty of these i could pick 100 lbs if i wanted so why not make some wine. Here is my start reciepe
3/31/2021
#1 - 10 pounds of pealed satsumas
#2 - 4 lbs of sugar
#3 - Checked SG and it was 1.030 ( 3pm )
#4 – Added 4 lbs of sugar with 1 gallon hot water to help dissolve
#5 - Then added 1 gallon of cold water to bring temperature down
#6 - Checked SG and it was 1.090
#7 - Then crushed 3 candem tablets snd sprinkeled on top
#8 - Waited 45 minutes
#9 - Then added ¾ tsp of peptic enzyme
#10 - Waited 1 hour then added yeast
#11 - Made a good stir and snapped the bucket lid on with a bubbler

4/1/2021
#11 - Took off top and gave a good stir all the fruit was on the top
Bubbler was working just fine ( 7am )
#12 - Took off top gave a good stir ( 4pm )

Attachments

• 3.31.2021.jpg
    3.31.2021.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 4.1.2021.jpg
    4.1.2021.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 20
Good luck.

Sorry to rain on your parade.
Citrus didn't work out for me.

When I made some stuff from an orange mango juice, the juice itself was cloyingly sweet, I also added sugar.
When it was done and all the sugar was gone, what was left was the acidity from the citrus and the alcohol.
I didn't care for it and gave it away, the fellow I gave it to enjoyed it though. To each their own.
To me it was like the burn one gets from a bit of throw up in the back of the throat.

Good luck.

Sorry to rain on your parade.
Citrus didn't work out for me.

When I made some stuff from an orange mango juice, the juice itself was cloyingly sweet, I also added sugar.
When it was done and all the sugar was gone, what was left was the acidity from the citrus and the alcohol.
I didn't care for it and gave it away, the fellow I gave it to enjoyed it though. To each their own.
To me it was like the burn one gets from a bit of throw up in the back of the throat.
hahaha well i figure all it cost me was a packet of yeast and couple dollars worth of sugar @ ingredients but this is the actual fruit not the juice so you never know and it is the first wine i have ever tried to make

You might have a pleasant wine on your hands, Bobbybeef. Oranges are very sour absent their sweetness compared to satsumas, but you might zest some fruit and use the zest rather than the juice when it comes to citrus fruit (Limoncello is not really made with the juice as much as with the zest (the outer peel not the white pith, but Skeeter Pee - a lemon wine IS made with the juice of lemons and that can taste incredible. But it is sweetened...).

You might have a pleasant wine on your hands, Bobbybeef. Oranges are very sour absent their sweetness compared to satsumas, but you might zest some fruit and use the zest rather than the juice when it comes to citrus fruit (Limoncello is not really made with the juice as much as with the zest (the outer peel not the white pith, but Skeeter Pee - a lemon wine IS made with the juice of lemons and that can taste incredible. But it is sweetened...).
We have so many trees we threw away 4 wheelbarrows full of Navels and a couple of wheelbarrows full of louisiana sweets same thing with satsumas i hope it comes out good because we have so much of these different fruits

Back