Satellite Hydrometer readings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robklein

Reaction score
I am using a satellite fermenter to take hydrometer readings. If kept in the same area as my secondary fermenter, will it provide accurate readings?

thanks,
rob :tank:

I think he means a seperate, smaller batch...

Even in the same room, conditions can be very different. I doubt you'd see similar results if you took reading of both fermenters at the same time.

Well, a satellite fermenter is when you take a sample and take a hydrometer reading then Pour the sample into an old beer bottle, place a paper towel in the neck & locate it next to your fermenter. This is called a satellite fermenter. It is used to take hydrometer readings without opening the fermenter. If the satellite becomes infected, the readings are still accurate.

It says that the readings are still accurate but are they? any one had past exp?

Well, a satellite fermenter is when you take a sample and take a hydrometer reading then Pour the sample into an old beer bottle, place a paper towel in the neck & locate it next to your fermenter. This is called a satellite fermenter. It is used to take hydrometer readings without opening the fermenter. If the satellite becomes infected, the readings are still accurate.

It says that the readings are still accurate but are they? any one had past exp?

Oh yeah, I think Papazian mentioned it...but you are the first person I have ever heard of who does that...Some of Papa Charlie's info is a little outdated...

If there was a problem with opening the fermenter to take hydro readings, why would it be recommended so much...especially since there is so much in brewing literature that we're told not to do???

Don't forget there is a layer of CO2 protecting your beer....

Also, think about this, since we're dealing with living yeasts, it's going to take them less time to eat their way through 12 ounces of sugar water than it is for them to eat through 5 gallons....therefore your reading wouldn't be an accurate measure of what's going on in the fermenter any way....

Get over your fear of opening your fermenter, your beer is hardier than that...:D

The readings should be very close if you pull your sample when the fermentation has a good head as there is lots of yeast in suspension (floating up and down). I have tried this with good results. Try it.

Back