Sapporo Inspired Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

cryptohomebrew

Reaction score
Over the weekend I brewed what I'm calling a Sapporo Inspired Ale. The grain bill is below. After a lot reading, there seems to be consensus that 34/70 can ferment at ale temperatures so I am going to try that out and see how it goes. I also F'd and didn't realize I had zero yeast nutrient. I found online that bread yeast can be used as a substitute so i added 2.5 tablespoons of that.

10 lbs Pale Rice Malt
3 lbs Vienna Millet
2 lbs Pale Millet
1.75 oz Sorachi Ace hops
2 sachets 34/70 yeast

Attachments

• SIA - 1.jpeg
    SIA - 1.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 17
  • SIA - 2.jpeg
    SIA - 2.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 18
  • SIA - 3.jpeg
    SIA - 3.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 17
  • SIA - 4.jpeg
    SIA - 4.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 19
  • SIA - 5.jpeg
    SIA - 5.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 22
  • SIA - 6.jpeg
    SIA - 6.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 23
  • SIA - 7.jpeg
    SIA - 7.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 22
  • SIA - 8.jpeg
    SIA - 8.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 22
Reaction score
I also wouldn't sweat skipping the yeast nutrient. For low to moderate gravity beers its not critical, especially when you made a starter with two packets of dry yeast. I'm pretty sure your beer is going to turn out really good.

OP
OP
cryptohomebrew

cryptohomebrew

Reaction score
I also wouldn't sweat skipping the yeast nutrient. For low to moderate gravity beers its not critical, especially when you made a starter with two packets of dry yeast. I'm pretty sure your beer is going to turn out really good.
thanks for saying this, i was legit concerned. Im going to let it ferment for 2 weeks before bottling and then im not sure if i should lager it or let it sit at basement temps (65F)

skleice

Reaction score
Not to be the buzz kill, but I would be concerned about the yeast nutrient. Rice malt is very low in FAN and has been known to produce off flavors that have been described as celery seed, cilantro, clove, etc. It's very earthy and very prominent (I know from experience). I use 2x the recommended yeast nutrient (and proper pitch rates) in my batches to avoid this flavor. Anyway, the beers tend to be fine throughout fermentation, but the flavor/aroma emerges once the beer is down to serving temps.

I hope the bread yeast was enough to get you by!

OP
OP
cryptohomebrew

cryptohomebrew

Reaction score
All good man. From you guidance I started doubling the yeast nutrient awhile back and it has a big effect on the beer. This one should be drinkable in 3 weeks so ill let everyone know how it goes.

OP
OP
cryptohomebrew

cryptohomebrew

Reaction score
Cracked these open a few days ago. Happy to say the bread yeast did allow for good alcohol production albeit this beer has a hard time getting a foamy head to it. Taste wise, if you've ever had Leinenkugal's Summer Shandy, with a slice of lemon added, this beer tastes just like it. Also, confirming, 34/70 is a great ale yeast.

Attachments

• SIA - 1 (1).jpeg
    SIA - 1 (1).jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0