Sanyo 4912 interior light question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pugilist

Reaction score
I have been using this fridge for a lagerator and have had a boston lager clone in there slowly fermenting for about 2 weeks. When I have been taking peeks inside I have noticed the light only comes on when my exterior temp control starts the fridge up to cool.

Does this mean the light is only going on when I open the door, or is it on inside the whole time the fridge is running? If that is the case all that light into the carboy has probably done a number on my brew!

I don't have one (yet) but I've heard mumblings about the light staying on all the time once you remove the interior door panel.

Evan! said:
I don't have one (yet) but I've heard mumblings about the light staying on all the time once you remove the interior door panel.

That's right if you remove it. I didn't remove mine but if I did, I'd unscrew the light bulb or make something that would stick out enough to hit the light-off button...

Evan! said:
You are right, if you remove the interior plastic the light stays on.....I taped mine shut.

Temperature controllers work by controlling the fridge's power (meaning ON when the temperature needs to be lowered, and OFF when the temp is at target or lower). If you're opening the door when the fridge is at your desired temp (as set on the controller) there won't be any power going to the fridge...thus no power for the bulb either. If you open the fridge, and the light is on, they you have power and the fridge is in a cooling cycle.

When the fridge does have power, ON/OFF is controlled by the light switch that's triggered by the door (door closed = light off, door open = light on). If you've altered your refrigerator's door at all, you may have eliminated the ability to have the door trigger the switch. Like in my case, I removed the molded plastic shelving on the door. Without this molding, the light switch won't trigger...meaning provided the fridge has power the light is always on regardless of the door being open or closed. It's easy enough to glue a small piece of wood to door so it will trigger the light switch....or even easier - just unscrew the bulb.

I left the door on. Plenty of room for 2 kegs and a 5# tank. Plus I store stuff in the shelves that are left in the door.

ohiobrewtus said:
I left the door on. Plenty of room for 2 kegs and a 5# tank. Plus I store stuff in the shelves that are left in the door.

I searched your posts for pictures of your kegerator to no avail. I'm going to try to do this Sanyo deal without making any modifications, at least until the warranty runs out. What'd you do?

Oh boy, I did remove all the panels to get my 6.5 in there. That light has been on my lager for about 2 weeks on and off now. Man...hope it didnt skunk it. I best get tape on that switch ASAP! Thanks guys.

Update! The light switch is on the upper right inside corner next to the thermostat. I left that right most can rack inside so it HAS been shutting the light off. Phew, my first lager with temp control, would have been pretty upset if I ruined it with such a dumb mistake. Also feel pretty moronic not reading over the manual a tad better :)

I find the interior light to be kind of useless with kegs in the fridge anyway so I just removed the bulb.

Back