Santize and seal posts on stored Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kornkob

Resident Crazy Uncle
Reaction score
So SWMBO got a little squirrley one day when I wiped the gas and liquid posts and popped in in the kegerator. She got it in her head that the fact that the cellared kegs had nothing covering the post that there was a significant risk of ending up with some guest killing bug in the beer from the posts.

Setting aside the illogic of that-- I decided to pick another battle and simply find a way that was cheap, relatively easy and sanitary enough for her to feel better about it.

Sure-- I could buy those post caps but I couldn't find a really cheap source (sub nickle per keg) without buying cases of the things.

Instead I took a spray bottle of Star San, a small bowl of star san and a couple nitrile gloves (like latex gloves but with no latex). After washing the gloves I cut the fingers off and put them on my fingers. Then I'd spray a post, dip the covered finger in the star san and put my covered finger on top of the post. Then I'd pull the glove finger down over the post. Now the post is santized and covered.

She was happy with the solution and now all my kegs have little blue fingers on them.

However, if I ever find a cheap source of those disposable caps, I think I'll go that route instead.

Just passing it along in case anyone else needs to calm a SWMBO.

Good to make the SWMBO feel better but why not use tin foil? I just sanitize the post and fitting before hooking up never covered the post

Back