Sankey keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Advantages: Only one connection means much less likely to leak. Heavier duty and more durable. Can be cleaned without opening. Easier to clean than a corny using a keg washer. Makes transfers easier when used as a fermenter. Several sizes available at relatively equal prices.

Disadvantages: Can't reach inside to clean making them (slightly) harder to clean manually than a corny. Getting the spear out the first time can be a bit tricky (quick and easy once you get the hang of it). New couplers are more expensive than a set of corny QD's, but luckily used couplers are relatively easy to find. To legally acquire more of them will most likely cost more than corny kegs. Sixtels are slightly larger diameter than corny kegs, so depending on the exact dimensions of your serving fridge/keezer/ferm chamber you might not be able to fit as many kegs.

I have and use both sankeys and cornies, and my personal opinion is that sankeys are a superior system. Plenty around here who disagree, but very few of them have actually used sankeys other than wrestling a spear out to make their keggle.

What size is that one? I have a 1/4 barrel (7.5g) and wish I had more. I mainly use ball lock cornies but I have a couple pin locks as well. Perfect size for filling up a large carboy and not having to bottle/dump a gallon. For only 5g sixtels I think I'd lean to a corney for ease of cleaning and switching out gas/beer lines.

I just bought a 15g Sankey with thoughts on making larger batches. I don't mind small batch IPAs but investing months on a lager or RIS only to get 5g is for the birds...

That is a 5.1gal keg. It's never been used. I was surprised when it got rescued from a scrap pile here at work by a co-worker. It's 304 stainless from what I can tell. Looks like we were looking to get a contract from the manufacturer and it fell through.

There's a few good Youtube videos on how to get them opened up and cleaned.

Back