Sankey coupler leaking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skins_Brew

Reaction score
Hey All,

So, I sometimes run commercial craft beer in my kegerator. I have a sankey "low profile" coupler. So, a keg kicked a few weeks ago, I decoupled it, and put the coupler in a pitcher of water (lines still connected). Fast forward a few weeks to tonight. I am ready to force carb a corny of homebrew. Now, my two co2 lines in this kegerator are connected via a T, so I simply cannot turn off the gas to the sankey. I hooked up my homebrew and turned on the gas, and the sankey coupler is leaking. Leaking enough where I can hear it. My thought is that being submerged for a few weeks might have messed up a seal or something. The collar on it is turned to the off position.

I am thinking about putting it in the toaster oven on 'warm' for an hour or two in an attempt to dry it out.

Thought? I was always under the impression that these couplers should NOT leak when they are decoupled.

Is it leaking, on the side that is held "captive" by the keg, and where the gas would not leak to the atmosphere when attached?

If so, I would put it back on the keg, and check for a leak at the interface.

Everything inside of it is designed to stay submerged, so unless there is some debris in the fluid path, to prevent full closing of said path, it may have a bad rubber seal.

I don't think I would put it in the toaster oven.

Did you put it back in the pitcher of water to see where the leak is coming from?

I also have a low profile Sankey coupler and can confirm that it does the same thing. Works perfect when engaged on the keg but just lets the co2 through otherwise.

Use a Nickel. Coupler, Nickel, washer, Co2 line. This will stop the Co2 from going in to the coupler. Just remember to remove the nickel the next time you the coupler.

Back