Sankey Coupler Clearance Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dandw12786

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've got a kegerator that I typically have two cornies and a 5# CO2 tank in, and am looking to get a little setup going to be able to get a 1/6bbl keg of commercial beer when i'm out of homebrew (these winter months make it a bit tough to brew outside...). I've searched the forums, and know I'm not the first person to do this, but can't seem to find the answer to my question. I'm wondering how far the standard Sanke Coupler sticks out above the keg? My kegerator measures 29", so if it fits, it'll be tight, but i'm wondering if it's doable.

I'm aware of the low clearance couplers, but they're more expensive right off the bat, and converting them to be able to hook to my pin lock connections (I can't seem to find anyone that's hooked them up to quick disconnects) is way more expensive than converting the standard taps.

Anyone have a Sanke Coupler they can measure? Thanks!

29" is plenty of room, but you'll want either an elbow like shown in the link above, or a 90° tailpiece to prevent the lines from kinking.

Just out of curiosity, why would converting a low profile coupler to connect to your corny set-up be any more expensive than with a regular coupler? If you use the MFL fittings to switch like many people do, you'd need fewer fittings, and the ones you'd need would actually be cheaper.

Just out of curiosity, why would converting a low profile coupler to connect to your corny set-up be any more expensive than with a regular coupler? If you use the MFL fittings to switch like many people do, you'd need fewer fittings, and the ones you'd need would actually be cheaper.

The low profile couplers start at around $55, where the regular ones are $25-$30. The MFL thread fittings for standard couplers are around $5 bucks each, putting the total at $35-$40, cheaper than the low profile coupler starts at.

The only threads I could find regarding converting a low profile coupler only had people putting ball lock disconnects directly onto the coupler, which required 3 or 4 fittings on each side, eventually bringing the total for the conversion upwards of $100.

For what it's worth, after a few more hours of searching, I did stumble on a thread with part #s from McMaster-Carr that should allow me to connect my quick disconnect hoses directly to the coupler with one fitting on each side, so I went with the low profile coupler to save a bit of room. Hopefully the part numbers were right!

dandw12786 - Can you link the thread you are referring to, or the part numbers? I am on a quest to do the same.

Back