Sanke Kegs as Fermentation tanks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vanderfell

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a question about using sanke kegs as fermenters. I have 2 kegs that were filled one time, and then the brewery did not want them back (not sure why but oh well). I have sliced the tops out of them, and have made lids for them. They look like the picture below. My question is, aside from cleaning the tanks with starsan or PWB, do I need to do anything to treat the stainless steel kegs before using as a fermenter? Will it add an odd taste to me beer? Anyone with experience in this area with info would be more than welcome.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_VCboslNaMhs/RzsOLAa9pfI/AAAAAAAAACM/QThpaQCzjUk/s1600/Fermenter%20Lid.jpg

(sorry for the double post, but I think this belongs in this thread and not the original one I posted in)

Fermenter Lid.jpg

Been using ss kegs for fermentation for 5 years..EXCELLENT and easy to clean. You won't look back.
Simie

Back