Sanke Kegs as Fermentation tanks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vanderfell

Reaction score
Hello,

First post (yay)! I have a question about using sanke kegs as fermenters. I have 2 kegs that were filled one time, and then the brewery did not want them back (not sure why but oh well). I have sliced the tops out of them, and have made lids for them. They look like the picture below. My question it, aside from cleaning the tanks with starsan or PWB, do I need to do anything to treat the stainless steel kegs before using as a fermenter? Will it add an odd taste to me beer? Anyone with experience in this area with info would be more than welcome.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_VCboslNaMhs/RzsOLAa9pfI/AAAAAAAAACM/QThpaQCzjUk/s1600/Fermenter%20Lid.jpg

Welcome, and nice looking setup!
You'll be fine. Lots of people (including almost every single commercial brewery) use stainless for fermentation. So no, no odd tastes should arise from your vessel at all.

I found my original two sanke fermenters off in the woods behind my old college apartment, emptied em out, cleaned with pbw, and I then used them for about a good 6 years :mug: They're with my old roommates now and I have since found some new kegs. You shouldn't have to do anything special at this point.

Ok, cool. I was just wondering because I did not know if there was some random coating on the inside of sanke kegs.

Ok, cool. I was just wondering because I did not know if there was some random coating on the inside of sanke kegs.

Nope!

so washing with pbw or starsan is the right thing then?

Yep!

How did you modify the opening to fit a bucket lid and still seal? Just curious, as that seems like a neat way to do it. I've already got the "fancy" tri-clamp rig from brewhardware.com, but I like the large opening on yours...

Nope!

Yep!

How did you modify the opening to fit a bucket lid and still seal? Just curious, as that seems like a neat way to do it. I've already got the "fancy" tri-clamp rig from brewhardware.com, but I like the large opening on yours...

An angle grider, and you slice slowly. You want a 10 inch hole.

Seriously, if you slice the top out, take some fine sand paper and clean the edges so you do not DESTROY your arm when cleaning it.

The lid is made from food safe PVC, you can usually get precut circles that are 12 inches online, as well as a 12 inch piece of food safe silicone for a seal.

An angle grider, and you slice slowly. You want a 10 inch hole.

Seriously, if you slice the top out, take some fine sand paper and clean the edges so you do not DESTROY your arm when cleaning it.

The lid is made from food safe PVC, you can usually get precut circles that are 12 inches online, as well as a 12 inch piece of food safe silicone for a seal.

Very nice! Finally was able to look at your picture zoomed in, and I see what you did there! Makes a lot of sense. And muuuch easier to clean.

Very nice! Finally was able to look at your picture zoomed in, and I see what you did there! Makes a lot of sense. And muuuch easier to clean.

My main reason for doing it was that I wanted a 10 gallon fermenter with no loss to blowoff. My last barley wine hit 1.11 last batch I brewed, and I bet I lost half a gallon!

Embedded photos

Fermenter Lid.jpg

Fermenter Lid Parts.jpg

Fermenter Lid 2.jpg

Very nice! I'm trying to find something wrong with it... Mainly because I'm pissed I didn't think of it first. [emoji6]
Brilliant!

Very nice!!

Star-San and PBW are not interchangeable. PBW is a cleaner (Powdered Brewery Wash). Star-San is a sanitizer. It won't clean anything, but it will kill bacteria. Both are great. PBW first to clean. Then rinse. Then Star-San to sanitize.

Dig back in The Brewing Network podcasts to the BREW STRONG episodes on cleaning and sanitizing. Great stuff. They were in 2008-09.

My main reason for doing it was that I wanted a 10 gallon fermenter with no loss to blowoff. My last barley wine hit 1.11 last batch I brewed, and I bet I lost half a gallon!

I did a 1.106 BW recently and it actually blew off in my sanke...with temp control! I was flabbergasted

Very nice! I'm trying to find something wrong with it... Mainly because I'm pissed I didn't think of it first. [emoji6]
Brilliant!

I would like to point out that those are not my pictures, I do not take credit for this as an idea. My setup is identical, I was just at a conference and bored as hell, so I found something kind of like it. I think it will work very well though not that I have it all together.

I knew stainless was good for fermenting, I was just not able to find any info on if there was some kind of coating on the inside of a keg. But, it appears I am good to go!

Back