Sanke Keg Spear Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quincannon

Reaction score
I just bought a new used sanke keg from a local recycling place. When releasing the pressure there was a fourth of the kegs worth of skunked beer in it. Can the spear be disassembled and re assembled for cleaning easily? I want to start using the keg for homebrew.

Yep sure can but you have to make sure there is absolutely no pressure left in the keg. I use and old sankey coupler to let the pressure out. Do a search there are a few posts on this already.

I mean the spear itself. Taking it out was no problem. I didn't see any posts about taking the spear apart and removing the ball bearing to make sure it's all cleaned out. Not sure if I can trust just flushing it with oxy and starsan. I found a post of how to reassemble just the shaft spring and nut using a caulking gun but that was about it.

You'd be fine with putting a coupler (without check valves) on it spear to open it up and soak it in Oxy overnight. a few hours in some caustic would do it good too.

Back