Sanke Keg Fermenter Idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobbieOByrne

Reaction score
So I received about 20 15.5 plastic Sanke Kegs from a local brewery, all used maybe once. My idea is to open the kegs Put in a bung/blowoff tube and bobs your uncle... what do you think?

I do ferment in a sanke keg, and my only gripe is that it’s a PITA to clean through the two inch hole. I have a CIP solution, and pbw doesn’t always get all of the crud off the side. I use a carboy brush, and I find that the two inch hole makes the process kind of annoying. It just takes me more time to clean but it’s great.

I also just tried using a #11 drilled stopper with an airlock. It didn’t seal for me. Back to the triclamp solution.

Pretty much anything that holds liquid can be used as a fermenter. I've never used my sanke kegs as fermenters due the the cleaning aspect as mentioned.
Its plastic, cut the hole open and cover it with something so you can clean it easier. If your planning on doing a closed transfer its a bad idea unless your brewing 15 gallons at a time. You'll waste Massive c02

Reviving an old thread here, did you ever come up with a solution? I have never seen a 15.5 Gal Plastic Sanke. Do you have a photo just to see one? I am getting ready to start fermenting in a standard Sanke, so I can't attest to cleaning yet. I am almost done building the set up so I will see shortly how bad it is to clean. I am using NorCals Ultimate Cross Sanke kit. I am loving the concept and excited to see how it works out.

Latest posts

Back