SANKE keg clogged with dry hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoomersBrews

Reaction score
Just brewed an 8% NEIPA with 6oz of pellet hops in whirlpool and 6oz dry hop on day 1 of fermentation (my first attempt at biotransformation for permanent haze). All hops went in loose. The problem is they all broke down so much that strainers and hop bags over the siphon did not prevent excessive hops from getting into the keg. I use a Sanke commercial keg rather than a ball lock because it's easier. But now I cannot tap anything because it is clogged with hops.

My question is: will leaving this cold crash in the keg for a few days get the hops to settle enough that they won't clog anymore or will I have to transfer to a carboy, cold crash again, and transfer back to keg to get the results I want? I'm hoping for the former rather than the latter.

I am posting this because I couldn't find a thread about this type of keg and this type of beer anywhere. Thanks in advance to anyone who can provide good advice!

Cheers!

I've never used a snake keg, but I suspect you're going to need to transfer the beer out, then clean all of the debris that's in the bottom. I don't think cold crashing by itself will work, because you'll still have all of the debris in the bottom. I don't think the problem is with hops in the beer, it's that the hops are blocking the tube.

Back