Sanitizing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azfalcon

Reaction score
So I have the normal kit consisting of 2 plastic buckets and a glass carbon. Can I put sanstar in one of the plastic buckets and do all the cleaning/sanitizing in there. Use the second bucket for the wort etc then rack to the glass carboy?

You could,but you could also goto homer cheapo & get an orange 5 gallon bucket to do it in for about $5. That what I & many others use for starsan,PBW,etc.

unionrdr said:
You could,but you could also goto homer cheapo & get an orange 5 gallon bucket to do it in for about $5. That what I & many others use for starsan,PBW,etc.

Or you could go to your local super market bakery and ask for some buckets. They usually give them for free or about 1 to 2 dollars and they are food grade so you could make beer in them if you run low on buckets or carboys

unionrdr said:

Not to be rude what isn't that the same as using the 5 gallon extra bucket? I don't need both buckets and a glass carboy for brewing right ?

In most kits,the one bucket with the spigot is the bottling bucket. The other is the fermenter. The carboy would be a secondary.

I assume the second bucket is your bottling bucket. You could clean and sanitize in there if you like. I started by doing that, but I stopped after realizing that any dirt or grit or hair that I cleaned off of bottles or equipment just ended up at the bottom of that bucket. I'd then have to clean that extra well before bottling. I went the route the others are suggesting and got a cheapo bucket at Lowes.

So I have the normal kit consisting of 2 plastic buckets and a glass carbon. Can I put sanstar in one of the plastic buckets and do all the cleaning/sanitizing in there. Use the second bucket for the wort etc then rack to the glass carboy?

yes.

Ok makes sense. Thanks for the tips. I will go from boiler to plastic bottle for fermenting then bucket with spigot for bottling in 6 3 weeks or so. Maybe I will use the secondary when I quit using kits and try my own stuff

Many people, myself included, use distilled water for mixing sanitizer. Then you fill a spray bottle with sanitizer. If you are using StarSan it is a contact sanitizer so all you have to do is get the surface wet. An 8oz bottle will last a year if you use it like this.

Save a step and put the sanitize in the fermenting bucket on brew day along with air lock, tubing and other parts used post boil.

If u r going to use a secondary then pour sanitize from primary to secondary to store until you are ready to transfer from primary.

On brew day all post boil items go into my fermenter filled with Starsan. When all done and wort cooled I move all items to another bucket(bottling bucket) and rinse the sanitizer all over the ferment bucket and pour that over into my bottling bucket. Toss in the lid and rinse it real good with sanitizer and transfer my wort to the ferment bucket. Rinse the lid again with sanitizer and apply it to the fermenter. Pull my airlock out of the sanitizer and soak it real good and partially fill with sanitiser and apply it to the rubber grommet in the ferment bucket lid.

I transfer my StarSan solution over into a 5 gallon PET bottle for storage and apply a stopper and empty airlock so little if anything gets in there.

Back