Sanitizing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agroff383

Reaction score
Hello I am new to the hobby and this forum...everyone talks about sanitizing and what not...is bleach acceptable? Or is there other sanitizers available? The bleach won't impart any flavors?

Or can I put it in the dishwasher (my bottles and other cold side stuff), or won't that do the trick? I am doing a lot of research here just trying to figure this all out!

Bleach works, but mix it correctly and rinse REALLY well, or you will taste some funk.

Many people use Star San, no rinse, you can drink it... short contact time.

I used to place my bottles in my dishwasher, worked well, never an infection.

Do some searching and you will find more info than you ever wanted on sanitizing. As homebrewers, there are a wide variety of sanitizers out there and we can't even agree on which one is better.

I personally prefer star-san because it's got a fairly quick contact time and it's no rinse.

Some of the other common sanitizers are low concentration bleach and Idophor.

Bleach is acceptable, but be sure to rinse a few times to get rid of the odor. I use StarSan which is very popular, but there are many other ways to sanitize. It would depend how hot the dishwasher gets and for what period of time. I would still recommend sanitizing with solution of some sort. Unless you boil, you still need to sanitize.

Back