Quantcast

sanitizing your CFC

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Reaction score
I am getting ready to build a CFC much like Bobby-M's and I am going to build it directly into my system. I am wondering what you all do to clean and sanitize your CFC before you use it?
Cheers
JJ

5 Is Not Enough

Reaction score
I used a compression fitting to attach it to my kettle's valve. I just pump Starsan through it before I hook it up.

5 Is Not Enough

Reaction score
I used a compression fitting to attach it to my kettle's valve. I just pump Starsan through it before I hook it up.

ajf

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I clean after use by rinsing, soaking in oxiclean solution, and then rinsing again.
I sanitize by using it to transfer iodophor from a bottling bucket to the primary.

-a.

OP
Jaybird
Reaction score
5 Is Not Enough said:
do you have to rince starsan??

OP
Jaybird
Reaction score
Bobby_M said:
I pump boiling wort through it (coolant off) and back into the kettle for the last 5 minutes of the boil.
I think this is the most viable option. But arn't you worried about hot side arreation?
JJ

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
I don't get any aeration of the wort by pumping through the CFC, but I could imagine if you don't get your output submerged into the kettle wort, it might foam up.

freyguy

Reaction score
No pumps here, so I just drain some starsan from my bucket-o-sanitizer through the CFC into my carboy. That way I sanitize the CFC, then give my carboy a few shakes, and it's done too. Starsan back in bucket with hydro/thief, oxygen setup, and airlock/blowoff.

5 Is Not Enough

Reaction score
1 oz / 5 gallons = no rinse, 15 sec contact time, no need to dry. IMO, best to use equipment while still wet.

Reverend JC

2500 gallons year to date
Reaction score
After every use i run hot oxiclean through it and let it sit with a single hose attached to both in and out ends of the CFC. This ensures constant contact.

Rinse for a min or so with warm water.

Run star-san in it and with single hose attach to both ends for a few min. then drain as well as possible.

Then i wrap the two ends with plastic wrap and rubberbands to ensure it has been cleaned and sanitized so i dont have to worry about it before each brew.

OP
Jaybird
Reaction score
5 Is Not Enough said:
1 oz / 5 gallons = no rinse, 15 sec contact time, no need to dry. IMO, best to use equipment while still wet.
do you all sanatize your kegs and such this way as well??
JJ

5 Is Not Enough

Reaction score
Jaybird said:
do you all sanatize your kegs and such this way as well??
JJ
Everything. I'll put about 1 gal in a keg and hook up the taps and use co2 to push the starsan through the faucets...

OP
Jaybird
Reaction score
Reverend JC said:
After every use i run hot oxiclean through it and let it sit with a single hose attached to both in and out ends of the CFC. This ensures constant contact.

Rinse for a min or so with warm water.

Run star-san in it and with single hose attach to both ends for a few min. then drain as well as possible.

Then i wrap the two ends with plastic wrap and rubberbands to ensure it has been cleaned and sanitized so i dont have to worry about it before each brew.
Ya I run oxyclean through the entire system after each brewday but I was just thinking about just before your wort transfer but I guess if you sanitized and sealed it up good you would be ok like you said I also like Bobby-M's way but in my system I run everything to a grant so I would be concerned about hot side arreation where I dont think bobby runs to a grant (or do you bobby?)Hmmmm the options
JJ

OP
Jaybird
Reaction score
5 Is Not Enough said:
Everything. I'll put about 1 gal in a keg and hook up the taps and use co2 to push the starsan through the faucets...
and its ok for the beer to contact the starsan??
JJ

OP
Jaybird
Reaction score
Bobby_M said:
Nope, The kettle flows into the input of the pump directly.
ya know I was thinking of closing my system up because I designed the grant to be used as a hop back but never use it as one.
JJ