Sanitizing with Potasiumk Metabisulfite

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

DSeibel

Reaction score
Hello,

Currently I have been doing all my sanitizing with bleach. However I am doing a batch of Apfelwein and my LHBS sold me some K-Meta. He told me to mix it in the ratio on the package and put a small amount in my carboy..about a litre, shake it around to ensure contact with all surfaces then either dump or save for later. A few questions.

-Do I need to do this in a ventilated area? I heard that this stuff gives of some nasty gasses.
-Do I need to let it sit in the carboy for a while.
-I also want to sanitize my funnel, bung and airloc...is this the same...just make sure it contacts?

Any other advice with this stuff would be great.

Dave

Gordie

Reaction score
Actually, for what looks like a simple question, there are some complicated answers.

To keep it simple, I'd ditch the metabisulfite and get some star san. In the meantime, yes - ventilated area is good, you need extended contact time in your carboy and no - you need more than just contact with other items for sanitation.

Like I said, use star san and follow the directions on the label. Much easier and much more reliable.

DUCCCC

Reaction score
I use Potassium Meta when making wine, as its a good antioxidant. It can be pricey stuff, though. It will last a long time in a well sealed container. For AW, cider and beer I second the iodophor suggestion.