Sanitizing with Bleach

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inturnldemize

Reaction score
What's the consensus on sanitizing with bleach? So far i've made 3 batches of beer and santized everything with bleach. It's treated me well so far. Bleach is potent stuff so I make sure to rinse it very well. Anyone else here share my opinion about bleach? What are your experiences with it?

Don't do it.

If you have to rinse that well, the bleach is gone and you have an open container you are rinsing with tap water.

Slight amount of bleach left in the equipment equals band aid beer.

No rinse is cheap and idiot proof. (you aren't the idiot, I am ;))

Thousands of people have made thousands up on thousands of gallons of beer using bleach as a combination cleaner/sanitizer. It does what it is supposed to do. If you rinse it right, you're golden. I have used it at home and in a commercial brewery and don't recall a single issue. Today, I use it as my go to home brew cleaner for everything other than my kegs (PBW there)... however, once I have rinse the bleach away I go back behind with iodophor. I find it a bit easier since I can drain from one vessel to another and use the first immediately, use it for dip sanitizing, spray bottles etc.

Bleach is your friend, you just have to treat her right.

I had 17 or 18 good experiences and then one epic IPa that endup band aid beer.

IT AINT WORTH IT. (for me)

When there is NO RINSE that is so effective, why risk it?

I did my first batch using bleach as the sanitizer. Rinsed with tap water. Topped off the partial boil with water straight from the tap, too. Everything worked.

Rinsing thoroughly is annoying and time-consuming, and I use StarSan now. But if all you have on hand is bleach, and your tap water is clean enough to rinse with, it can work.

Ages ago when I first started, bleach is all we had - no problems. I'm partial to starsan now, but use bleach if the need arises. If you are worried about your rinse water ruining your beer you need to move to another place 'cause making beer is the least of your worries.

I brewed for 15 years with bleach. It works and it's cheap. But I gotta say, Star San is just as cheap (if you reuse it) and won't stain your clothes, carpets, etc. And it's no rinse. I'll never go back.

Ages ago when I first started, bleach is all we had - no problems. I'm partial to starsan now, but use bleach if the need arises. If you are worried about your rinse water ruining your beer you need to move to another place 'cause making beer is the least of your worries.

Lol, well put.

I guess it might be more the presence of bacteria in your sink or in your bathtub, or your garden hose that I meant, while you have the thing open to the world, water going in and out.

Plus kinda a PITA.

Last thing to touch my stuff is sanitizer. Dump it out, put beer in. Easy.

Back