Sanitizing tubing and racking canes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big10Seaner

Reaction score
I'm curious to see how people are sanitizing tubing, auto siphons and racking canes. They are difficult to sanitize given their shape and I'm looking for a few tips.

I do... just put the racking cane in the bottling bucket while I have the sanitizer in there and just pump it through a few times. Not too hard...

Wall paper tray from Lowes or HD for about $3. There's also just putting it in the carboy I'm racking into and shaking. It's splashes onto the tubing and cane. I'd recommend using an autosiphon instead of a regular cane though since you can pump sanitizer through it and the tubing.

I use a 5 gal. Igloo cooler to make and store my sanitation solution. So if I need to sanitize a long piece of equipment I can place it in the cooler. And then start a siphon to sanitize the inside.

You could do the same thing with a bucket. But the cooler's top is easier to remove and the spigot on the bottom make dispensing the solution easy.

I stand the racking cane in a bucket of sanitizer and flip it later on. The hose is curled up in the bottom. It's not the most efficient use of sanitizer, but I'll end up using it all one way or another.

TL

Bobby_M said:
Wall paper tray from Lowes or HD for about $3. ...
+1 for this! Was recommeded by a guy at my LHBS and it was some of the best advice I ever got. I bought two and use them doubled up for extra rigidity.
104851_front200.jpg

I went to Home Depot and bought a plastic window sill planter. They are perfect for cleaning long items like racking canes because it is long and you can fill it up with as much or as little cleaner as you need. They are also very cheap and come in different sizes and colors. Mike kinda looks like this one but mine is white.

StrawberryPlanter2.JPG

BeachBumDeac said:
I do... just put the racking cane in the bottling bucket while I have the sanitizer in there and just pump it through a few times. Not too hard...

Yeah, that's what I do too. It will fill the tubing with sanitizer so you can just let it sit for a couple of minutes. Then you can turn it upside down to get the outside top parts if you like.

Turkey baster. Bought specifically for this purpose. I put all of my stuff in a flat Rubbermaid container, put about a gallon or so (maybe a little more) sanitizer in there, and shoot sanitizer through the tubing and raking canes. Works like a charm.

+1 on the walpaper tray. I use that for the outside surface of the autosiphon and any long objects like mixing spoons. After that though I stick It in a bucket of sanitizer, stick the hose in the bottom of the bucket and start a siphon on itself...or into a carboy or something to sanitize that. That way I know I've got it santitized inside and outside.

first i rack sanitizer from its bucket into the fermenter i plan on using. that cleans the insides well. then i coil the tubing in the fermenter to sanitize the outside. the racking cane is then flipped over the and placed top first in the fermenter. Now all is sanitary!

Back