sanitizing the day before

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yellowirenut

Reaction score
Tis the season of summer festivals and graduation parties. So as with a lot of others my weekends are not fully open for a brew day.

I was thinking of doing a brew Friday after work. But would like to be a few steps ahead. I was wanting to sanitize everything..pots, fermented, hoses..etc. the night before. So as when I get home from work all I need to do is light that fire.

Anyone else sanitize ahead of time? I figure if everything is covered it should be all right.

I sanitize my fermenter while doing the boil. I'm not comfortable with sanitizing the day before because of re-contamination. Most sanitizers that I am familiar with are wet contact only. The sanitizer is not effective once the surface dries.

I clean everything, but the only things that I sanitize are the fermenter, air lock and wine thief. I pump boiling wort through the CFC to sanitize it and the tubing near the end of the boil.

if all of your gear has been cleaned before you stored it away then a spray bottle of star san should be all you need on brew day. i find my time savings to be in milling the grain and filling the HLT the day before.

A very good rule of thumb to follow is: Clean just after use, sanitize just before use.

Back