Sanitizing Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grace1760

Reaction score
I posted this in the Sanitizing Forum, but I think it was to "newbie" for the folks on that board...

I clean with something called Straight-A, which I get from my LHBS. I sanitize with an Iodophor-based solution...although to be honest, I'm not very exacting when it comes to creating it (I simply add about 1 capful for 2-3 gallons of water).

Here are my questions:

1) Do I need to use pre-boiled water when creating my sanitizing solution of water and Iodophor? I have been, but if I don't need to I would like to eliminate the time- and energy-consuming process of pre-boiling.

2) Do I need to rinse after soaking in the Iodophor solution? I have been (with tap water), but now I'm thinking I'm defeating the whole purpose?

I posted this in the Sanitizing Forum, but I think it was to "newbie" for the folks on that board...

I clean with something called Straight-A, which I get from my LHBS. I sanitize with an Iodophor-based solution...although to be honest, I'm not very exacting when it comes to creating it (I simply add about 1 capful for 2-3 gallons of water).

Here are my questions:

1) Do I need to use pre-boiled water when creating my sanitizing solution of water and Iodophor? I have been, but if I don't need to I would like to eliminate the time- and energy-consuming process of pre-boiling.

2) Do I need to rinse after soaking in the Iodophor solution? I have been (with tap water), but now I'm thinking I'm defeating the whole purpose?

1) No....though using RO or Pre-boiled will make it last a little longer...but not necessary. The only amount of iodophor I use mixed with distilled, is the quart I keep in a spray bottle...not having the minerals in it AND being sealed keeps it viable for months.

2) No...NO Rinse MEANS NO RINSE.

Thanks, Revvy, for all of your efforts to guide us rookies past our initial bungles. The sense of fellowship and cooperation (not to mention your patience) that you inspire is a reminder to me of why homebrewing is fun in the first place!!

I was under the (apparently mistaken) impression that iodophor sanitizining solution needed to be rinsed off the equipment and bottles. Mercy, my next bottling session is going to be a breeze!! :mug:

Thank for the link to the info

Ok, i will add that you NEED TO MIX IT RIGHT.

if you mix it too weak, it may not sanitize, or will take longer than expected.

If you mix it too strong, you may taste the iodine in your finished beer.

Mix it to the right strength, and it will be no-rinse, and effective.

Ok, i will add that you NEED TO MIX IT RIGHT.

if you mix it too weak, it may not sanitize, or will take longer than expected.

If you mix it too strong, you may taste the iodine in your finished beer.

Mix it to the right strength, and it will be no-rinse, and effective.

For Iodophor, the effective no-rinse concentration is 3 ml per gallon of water. I think most people use too much.

For Iodophor, the effective no-rinse concentration is 3 ml per gallon of water. I think most people use too much.

I don't know the metric conversion, but since December of last year, Natl Chemical has been recommending 1 tbs/5 gallons...

I remember that was a big deal at my lhbs back then, when I bought some, they handed me a sheet from natl saying that was the new proper concentration...

Back