Sanitizing Question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akillys

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to this and had a question about sanitizing. Do I need to sanitize my brew pot? I have read that you should and I have also read that when you are boiling wort in your brew pot it will kill any unwanted bacteria so sanitizing is pointless. If I am suppose to sanitize my brew pot what should I use? I have read on the Star San label that you are not suppose to use it on metal and my brew pot is stainless steel. Sorry for the dumb question I just want to have all the knowledge I can get before I brew my first batch.

As MaxStout said no you don't need to sanitize your boil pot. However you should make sure it is clean using whatever you normally use to clean your pots with.

I've never used my Starsan on the brew pot. Just clean it with PBW or Oxy right after you brew.

Boiling is a pretty darn effective sanitizer. That's how I sanitize my pump, hoses and plate chiller as well. I circulate boiling wort through them the last 15 minutes of the boil.

Cool thank you all for your help and thanks for answering so quickly.

Quick question on StarSan. I followed the directions and mixed one ounce of StarSan with 5 gallons of tap water. Is it okay to soak bottles in the night before? And if I recycle it to some one gallon water jugs how many uses can I get out of it before it needs to be dumped

Sent from my VS840 4G using Home Brew mobile app

You can soak glass overnight without issue.

Longevity of a standard Star San mix is almost totally dependent on water chemistry and organic loading. Using distilled water will pretty much eliminate the first factor, the latter is dependent on how clean things are before you treat them with the sanitizer.

I use distilled water to make up a five gallon batch which I store in a five gallon glass carboy and use for as long as 6 months. It will remain clear for that duration; when the level drops to 4 gallons I mix up another gallon and add it back to the carboy...

Cheers!

One correction here. You can use StarSan on stainless with no issues. Five Star's documentation clearly says it's safe on stainless. Many of us will keep StarSan in a sealed corny keg for several weeks until we fill it up again.

What they do say is to avoid prolonged exposure on soft metals (i.e. Aluminum, brass, copper, etc). SS is fine.

Latest posts

Back