sanitizing oxygen caps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avshockey311

Reaction score
I am bottling tomorrow and all I have are oxygen caps. The only sanitizer I have at the moment is OneStep. I have heard you are no supposed to use OneStep on oxygen caps. What can I use to sanitize these caps?

I use vodka... I let them sit there for an hour or so while I get ready to bottle.. I don't know if this is "correct" but I have never had an issue with it..

I thought that I read a thread saying that the Oxygen Barriers on the caps are activated when they become wet. That would make them activated after santizing and defeat the purpose of putting it on the bottle. I believe when people use the oxygen absorbing caps they just put them on without santizing and turn the bottle upside down after capping to activate the seal.

I just boil my caps for 5 mins or so when Im getting the rest of the stuff together for bottling

I thought that I read a thread saying that the Oxygen Barriers on the caps are activated when they become wet. That would make them activated after santizing and defeat the purpose of putting it on the bottle. I believe when people use the oxygen absorbing caps they just put them on without santizing and turn the bottle upside down after capping to activate the seal.

The manufacturer told James at Basic Brewing that they don't work that fast. Use whatever sanitizer you normally do. It takes many hours for the oxygen absorbing caps to do their work.

I just toss them on the bottles, turn them over, and put them in the case. I am careful not to handle the inside of the cap, but I haven't had one problem.

On Basic brewing the host contacted the maker of Oxygen Absorbing Caps (Crown Beverage), and actually recommended you santize them quickly, evidently the "Oxygen Absorbing Effect" of the caps is not immediate and they need to be wet for a period of time before the magic happens, like days.

Click to listen

It's within the first few minutes of the podcast.

They recommend sanitizing ONLY the caps you are using, and sanitizing just before bottling.

In 20 years of brewing I have never sanitized caps. And I bottle everything. By the time you are bottling there is alcohol so the chaces of having a problem are extremely extremely slim. The micros around here do not sanitize the caps so I assume it is common practice. IMHO it is not neccessary to sanitize caps.

Forrest

Back