Sanitizing March pump, CFC, hoses

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
I just picked up a new March pump and needed to sanitize it along with my CFC. In the past, I've boiled about 3 gallons of water and let it gravity drain through the CFC once with the cooling water disconnected. I question whether or not that was quite enough.

Last night I boiled 3 gallons of water and stirred 3 Tbspns of onestep in and then recirculated it through the pump and CFC for about 15 minutes. Afterwards, I plugged both ends of the tubing to keep the sanitizer in the loop until I use it tomorrow.

Anyone know if this was enough?

Sounds like to me you should be fine. I use a pump to move from my primary to my secondary and 2° to the kegs and I follow something very similar to what you've described and I haven't had any problems to date.

Bobby_M said:
I just picked up a new March pump and needed to sanitize it along with my CFC. In the past, I've boiled about 3 gallons of water and let it gravity drain through the CFC once with the cooling water disconnected. I question whether or not that was quite enough.

Last night I boiled 3 gallons of water and stirred 3 Tbspns of onestep in and then recirculated it through the pump and CFC for about 15 minutes. Afterwards, I plugged both ends of the tubing to keep the sanitizer in the loop until I use it tomorrow.

Anyone know if this was enough?
That sounds like a great idea! You should see what people on you tube.com think think sanitizing is. Youe idea is much better.

hi...question... if I sanitize the pump to use the pump from mash to boiler...and then from boiler to carboy through the chiller...
do I have to sanitize again in between?? Same question if I re-use some of the equipment on the same day.

Wow a thread so old Bobby is asking a question.

You do just recycle now for 15 minutes to sanitize right?

LOL, don't I still ask questions?

Yes, I just recirculate back to the kettle for like 5 minutes.

Are you saying you just run the hot wort through the CFC and pump 5 minutes before putting it to work chilling?

I have been using a march pump to move my water up to the top floor of my brew rig. I also use it to circulate the water for immersion chilling. I am about to experiment with a CFC though so need to know.

What do you do to clean out the pump and rig before putting it away?

Well, I actually use an IC right now but I've done the 5 minute recirc. when I used a CFC or plate chiller in the past.

Cleanup? I collect the first 5 gallons of chiller output in my HLT, then add a scoop of oxyclean and run it through the pump and chiller back into the BK and MLT. When it's in there, I scrub them out and gravity drain it out of there.

Re-resurrecting and old resurrected thread.....
Bobby,
You mention you have used a CFC and plate chiller in the past but now are using and IC. Can I ask why? A am about to build a CFC but have 2 - 30' coils of 5/8" copper, so I thought I would also build a IC to compare.
I am about to go all grain and will be using a keggle I just bought as a brew pot.
I always hear people say a CFC is more efficient but an IC is obviously easier to clean.
THANKS MUCH

Back