Sanitizing IN an aluminum brewpot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfotos

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I know that there have been some discussions about the health effects of aluminum, but I just wanted to know if anyone had some knowledge about my specific situation.

I just let my bottles sanitize in OneStep in my aluminum brewpot overnight, to find it today completely oxidized. I was wondering if there was any harmful byproducts formed during that process that could be harmful, even though the bottles have been removed, emptied and dried. I was planning on sharing this brew with a lot of friends and the last thing that I want to do is poison them! :tank:

I have already made up my mind based on the available info that the Al exposure itself from brewing is minimal and not hazardous, but I'm looking for some chemists to help me out with the reaction and its potentially harmful effects.

Thanks a bunch!

I have no idea

BUT

instead of sanitizing your bottles in your brewpot you should go to wolly world and pick up one of those big rubbermaid-ish (its not really rubbermaid) tubs with rope handles for $6.

Its been the most usefull thing I've bought.....I clean my bottles in it and sanitize all my hoses and spoons and crap in it as well as since it's been getting hot lately I've been putting my primary in it with room temp water to stabilize the temp swings (could also put a tshirt on it to help in evaporative cooling)

seriously its the best $6 i've spent...

As for sanitizing your bottles use your dishwasher w/o soap.....just run a rinse cycle before you do it to clean out any soap residue

it'll fit a bit more than 2 cases and gets up to high enough temps to sanitize your bottles.....just make sure you let it go through the full dry cycle

oh yeah and just bottle on top of your dishwasher so if you spill its no big deal and your bottles have a nice rack....let them cool a bit before you bottle though and don't open the door till your ready

ok thats it i swear!!

take it easy and good luck

Thanks, I will definitely look into that for the next round. Right now though, I have 2 cases worth of bottles waiting to be bottled, and don't know what to do! I suppose I should just go ahead and bottle anyway, but I'm getting kinda nervous about it...

bottlings not bad...it's annoying but its not bad

just make sure everything is good and sanitized and knock it out....

sounds like your girlfriend will help you out (wish mine would!) so it should go pretty quick

ok my secret: get drunk and bottle....seems to go quicker!

just remember to sanitize

take it easy and good luck

greenhornet said:
ok my secret: get drunk and bottle....seems to go quicker!

just remember to sanitize

To clarify: santize, THEN get drunk. Doesn't work the other way around usually! :D

FlyGuy said:
To clarify: santize, THEN get drunk. Doesn't work the other way around usually! :D

ok your right...I normally start sanitizing as I start drinking....by the time beer hits bottle I'm feeling pretty good...

So does anyone think that I could be harming the people who drink the beer?

I doubt that you're harming anything too much, but I would stop doing it anyway. It's bad for your pot, you're probably getting a high amount of aluminum oxide in your bottles, and it's really not all that expensive to get a plastic tub and avoid the whole situation in the first place.

Back