Sanitizing Fruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

growlrr

Reaction score
I'm about to pitch about four pounds of mixed berries (Blackberries, Cherries, Raspberries, Blueberries) into a 5 gallon batch of pyment sitting at about 15-16% ABV. they've been frozen, thawed, crushed up a little and are going in a muslin bag.

I'm a little nervous about introducing some unwanted God-knows-what in the batch through the berries. Is there a preferred way to sanitize the or is it even necessary?

I'm thinking about a quick bath in some 80 proof Vodka before they go into the bucket. Will this suffice?

They were already frozen, so I would assume so. How well? that's a different question....

if these were store bought they should be safe. Stores don't want lawsuits. If they were wild, then frozen it might be a problem.

Good point! They were store bought. Not a lot of fresh berries in New England in March. :( Ok - I'll squish em and pitch em...

Seems also like you'd maybe get some protection by virtue of your pyment already being fermented, as yours is? That does seem like a good way to do it.

Back