Quantcast

Sanitizing Fermenter Lid

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Razorback_Jack

Reaction score
How do you all sanitize your fermenter lid before closing it up with your beer inside? This is something I always wonder but usually just wing it in the moment. Typically I just spray the underside of lid with StarSan from a bottle, right before placing over the beer and sealing the fermenter. Is that good enough, ya think? Don’t know what else to do... the lid is too large to fit in a bucket of StarSan.

myndflyte

Reaction score
When I sanitize the fermenter, I have about 1.5 inches of starsan in there, put the lid on and shake really hard. Lid is covered in sanitizer when I take it off, so it's good enough for me.

AJinJacksonville

Reaction score
I used to make a five gallon bucket of sanitizer for brew days until I stumbled on the spray bottle idea. All I prep now for brew days is around 30oz or so in a spray bottle. For the fermenter lid, I spray the heck out of it while I'm letting some of the foam drop back down pre-pitch. I make sure not to let it contact anything else for a minute or two, toss the yeast in and close the top. I have not had any infections/issues that I could attribute to that process yet.

NTexBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score

ncbrewer

Reaction score
I put a gallon of star san solution in a turkey roasting pan. Small items can sit in it until needed, and larger items get star san'd with a wash cloth.

Latest posts