Sanitizing cork with vodka?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm ready to bottle 18 gallons of cider. I've heard people sanitize the cork by soaking in vodka over night. I'm bottling approximately a hundred bottles and doing this to cut down on cost. It kills me to use a whole bottle of vodka for this. I know I'm cheap but my tax return hasn't arrived yet. Is this a common method? Anyone know of other methods? Thanks

First of all, don't soak the corks! You'll ruin them. If mine are brand new, I often don't even sanitize them. But if they've been around in an opened bag, I will either boil a cup of water and drop a campden in and dissolve that and put it (in the container) into a tupperware container with the lid and let the so2 fumes humidify the corks while I rack the wine into the bottling bucket. If I think it needs more, I quickly dunk the corks into the solution when I drop them into the corker.

You can use any kind of non-rinse sanitizer on your corks, but the key is to not really wet them very much.

Back