Sanitizing cheese cloth

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Long

Reaction score
So I just sanitized some cheese cloth in preparation for my first AG brew. When I placed the cheese cloth in my cooler filled with cold water and Iodophor sanitizer the water turned from an iodine brown to dark blue or violet pretty quickly.

What does that mean? Can I continue using that blue iodophor sanitizer to sanitize the rest of my equipment?

Should I not sanitize my cheese cloth in iodophor?

I'm pretty new at this and enjoy learning from my actions, so please, any help is very appreciated.

Thanks!

Iodine turns blue/black in the presence of starch. Not sure why it happened in your cooler-- did you have any grains or grain dust in the water? Or maybe the cheesecloth had some starches in it?

Anyway, you don't need to sanitize any of your AG equipment before the boil, because as Warped04 said, it all gets sanitized during the boil.

-Steve

There must have been some starches in the cheese cloth. I was using them to contain the grains in the cooler. It was before the boil so next time I wont worry about it.

Thanks!

Back