Sanitizing Brew Kettle Spigot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOP-HEAD

Reaction score
I added a spigot to my brew kettle only recently. Unfortunately, I never even thought about sanitizing it when I brewed my last batch. Though I cleaned it well, after brewing and then cooling, I simply connected a length of sanitized hose to the spigot and ran it into my carboy. How do you all sanitize the innards of the spigot before drawing off the brew? Could I just open it briefly just before cooling to allow a small qty of boiled wort to flow through it while still hot?

You can spray StarSan in the outer portions before you hook up the drain hose, and the inner part is boiled in the kettle. Your only worry is the inside of the ball, right? (assuming a ball valve here)

I recirculate for a whirlpool so everything gets boiling wort sanitized, but if not I would probably just spray everything with StarSan that I could, pitch plenty of yeast, and RDWHAHB.

Back