Sanitizing bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STUNTx2

Reaction score
Not sure wether this question belongs here or in sanitizing, but as it pertains to my bottling procedure I thought I would try here first.

How long can I wait after sanitizing my bottles before I actually bottle my beer? I use an iodine sanitizer, can't think of the name of the top of my head, that says it needs to drain and then air dry. Does this mean air dry for a few minutes, hours or overnight? If I store them upside down will this prevent any nasties from contaminating my bottles? Also how do I let the caps dry with out contaminating them either by the surface I lay them on, or by exposing the inside to anything that might fall out of the sky. It's times like these I wish I owned a dishwasher.

Thanks for your input.

STUNTx2 said:
Not sure wether this question belongs here or in sanitizing, but as it pertains to my bottling procedure I thought I would try here first.

How long can I wait after sanitizing my bottles before I actually bottle my beer? I use an iodine sanitizer, can't think of the name of the top of my head, that says it needs to drain and then air dry. Does this mean air dry for a few minutes, hours or overnight? If I store them upside down will this prevent any nasties from contaminating my bottles? Also how do I let the caps dry with out contaminating them either by the surface I lay them on, or by exposing the inside to anything that might fall out of the sky. It's times like these I wish I owned a dishwasher.

Thanks for your input.

I store my bottles upside down after they are cleaned. When I get ready to bottle, then I sanitize them as well as the caps. I dont let my caps dry and when using the iodine sanitizer, you can sanitize and bottle right away.

That's kind of what I've done in the past. Just let the bottle drain, turn em over and fill. Give the cap a good shake and clamp it on. My question is more of if I wanted to let things sit overnight, or even just for a few hours would my bottles still be sanitized if they where stored upside down? Washing, Sanitizing, Racking, Priming, and Filling all in one session can be a little time consuming for me and I am looking for a way to break up the process a little bit.

Thanks for the info.

a few hours upside down will be ok. you can use an empty dishwasher rack to store them, or a bottling tree.

I myself use star-san to sanitize because its no rinse and you do not have to wait for it to dry.
i'm told a little too much iodiphor residue can be tasted in beer, but star-san lends no off flavors. (i've even tasted star-san so I'd know what the off flavor would taste like).

nothing wrong with iodiphor/iodine sanitizers....but I think if you tried star-san, you'd be forever hooked. it stays active for weeks instead of a couple days like iodine, it won't stain anything like plastic buckets or carpet if you drop the bottle.

Back