Sanitizers-Newbie Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopSong

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I think I did a reasonable search and didn't find an answer. I have some Iodophor sitting around and found it only has about a 6 month shelf life. I doubt if I go out and purchase another bottle, except for the small one use bottles, I'd ever use the full bottle before it also went bad. Also, started years ago using Pot. Meta. Choked on the smell and really don't like Clorox except in a pinch

So, the question is.. after watching a video on using Star-San.. it sounds like a great option. Does anyone know if this has a short shelf life? The video showed it could be used over and over until the PH climbed above about 2.5.

Any info would be appreciated.

The main issue with starsan: it hates hard water. The surfactant reacts quickly with hard water to become cloudy. If you mix it up with distilled or softened water it will stay clear indefinitely. You're also right that as long as the pH stays in the proper range, it should sanitize indefinitely.

I had a run of beers that got infected that I traced back to bad starsan, but I kept it too long, I was using relatively hard water to mix it up, and wasn't checking the pH.

I've found that fruit flies love the stuff so I end up tossing it out after it gets buggy, which is probably once a month.

I don't think it has a shelf life UNdiluted in the bottle.
I make 2.5 gallon batches in a 5 gallon pail and re use it over and over (as long as it isn't dirty) and get a little sloppy with it spilling some here and there and when the bucket gets low, I make more. If it's been in there long I check it with a PH meter but it's allways OK.
Some people make small ammounts and put it in mister bottles and spray it on the surface. A bottle would probably last a looong time that way.

StarSan is Dodecylbenzenesulfonic acid and phosphoric acid with inert ingredients. I doubt the solution itself will have a short shelf life. The mixed solution lasts for a couple of months. Many people mix a smaller amount in a spray bottle. It only needs a minute or so of contact, wet and no rinse to work. I remember the number of 3 PH and I thought that it wanted to be above 3. I'll have to look that up again when I have time.

I think StarSan is great stuff. It will not stain your equipment as Iodophor will.

Below 3 is the acceptable range. Above three and it won't work correctly, it being an acid and all.

I suspect the posted experation is the comapny avoiding a law suit. I seem to remember seeing test strips for iodine. If you can get some you could try to use the iodphore you have

Back