Sanitizers & Metal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewmonger

Reaction score
So I am wondering what (if any?) metals Star Sans & OxiClean are corrosive towards?

I use a copper immersion chiller, and my brew kettles are both stainless steel. One is a Blichmann Boilermaker.

You've probably answered this question before, but I couldn't find it searching. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks. :)

I have used both star san and oxiclean on both SS and copper. Everything came out just fine. But I wouldnt recomend the oxiclean for a "longterm" soak.

Do they also serve as a cleaner (loosening up gross debris) or only as a sanitizer?

I'm less concerned about sanition in my brew kettles and chiller coil since they are all on the hot-side of the process. My bigger issue has been with removing caked-on junk. Do they work to do this?

Would I need to rinse the residue from star sans or oxiclean off with water, to keep them from corroding the stainless steel or copper?

Oxiclean is a cleanser. it can sanitize, but don't bother.

Clean first with oxiclean FREE, sanitize with star-san.

keep very soft metals, like gold, and anything that corrodes from acid away from star-san.

Back