Sanitizer left in fermentation bucket...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew-HA

Reaction score
As I was pouring the Wort into the fermentation bucket and I noticed that there was a lot of white foam on the top. Usually the foam is yellow....I was brewing a Red Ale. I am worried that I may not have rinsed the bucket enough. Do you think it will be okay to drink or should I be safe and toss the whole batch which I dont really want to do. Thanks for your help

Toss it.

Just kidding. What kind of sanitizer did you use? You don't use soap to wash your equipment right?

Lots of my beers have white heads.

PS - I hope even if someone tells you to toss it, you don't do so. Taking advice from Internet forums can be like taking candy from strangers ;)

I say take a note of it now, and let the beer run its course. If it's jacked up at drinking time, you know the culprit!

Sam

I used sanitizer from my local brew shop but for some reason I think its sanitizer thats used for botteling wine 2oz per gallon. He said it would be fine. The white foam just scared me. Thanks for your help

Janx said:
Toss it.

Just kidding. What kind of sanitizer did you use? You don't use soap to wash your equipment right?

Lots of my beers have white heads.

PS - I hope even if someone tells you to toss it, you don't do so. Taking advice from Internet forums can be like taking candy from strangers ;)

I think I use the same type of sanitizer. I use an oxidizing no-rinse sanitizer probably much like yours. Since the cleaning action comes from the oxidizing it is probably inert by the time your wort comes into cantact. I've only brewed five batches but that little white foam was there every time and all my beer has come out quite well.

Brew-HA said:
As I was pouring the Wort into the fermentation bucket and I noticed that there was a lot of white foam on the top. Usually the foam is yellow....I was brewing a Red Ale. I am worried that I may not have rinsed the bucket enough. Do you think it will be okay to drink or should I be safe and toss the whole batch which I dont really want to do. Thanks for your help

depends on what kind of sanatiser. Some beer cleaners are made to not affect the beer if some of it gets in it. Also some colored beers (like guinness)
can have a white head with a lot of color in the beer.

Back