Sanitized my carboy a few months ago, sealed with baggie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetmac

Reaction score
...then I didn't put any more sanitizer in prior to emptying wort from kettle into carboy last week. Should I expect problems with infection?

normally I have a batch of sanitizer on hand on brew day, so I just give dump a bit in the carboy, slosh it around a bit, and then drain it out. It only takes a couple of minutes, and it's one less thing to worry about

I know I should have, but it kind of slipped my mind. I think I had it in my head that maybe I didn't need to so I then put it to the back of my mind. I normally would have but while brewing I was a bit occupied with some other things.

So the answer is "it's possible"?

On a scale of 1-5 (5 being the most possible) what do you think?

Revvy said:
I think the chances are pretty low, like even below 1...

+1 I'm sure it will be fine. As a general rule, however, I wouldn't make this a common practice. You risk the loss of your time, and the cost of a whole batch, to save like 5 minutes of time and .25cents worth of ipdophor.

Labs routinely do something similar to this, where glassware is covered with foil, then autoclaved. This glassware could be expected to remain sterile indefinitely, but iodophor doesn't kill quite as much as pressure and moist heat.

Should be fine as bugs don't crawl, they fall. That said, I like to have starsan wet carboy walls when racking wort for the extreme off chance that during transfer something drops in. That's just how I roll... :ban:

Back