Sanitize "large" brewing vessels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerDane

Reaction score
Hi all

I have just upgraded my 5 gallon brewery to approx 18 gallon. This also requires an increased amount of sanitizer (Iodophor) and since Iodophor costs about $10 for a pint here in Denmark im looking into alternatives.

My fermenters are plastic so Im not sure steam is such a good idea ?

Should i upgrade to steel conicals that can be steam sanitized or is there another alternative ?

People at one time used bleach, it works, but they have better and newer products out.

You can try one step no rinse sanitizer. Thats probably the cheapest way. I have been using it for over 3 years with no problems.

Hi

Thx for the answers. Must do a little more research or maybe buy larger quantities of Iodophor to get at more reasonable price.

Yea switch to star san. It can last longer than Iodopher, which I heard looses its sanitizing ability after about a few hours. But if Star san is mixed properly(distilled or RO water and can last for months. Rinse and reuse..

yes starsan is the way to go, i make 2gal and keep it for few months (i check with ph meter and after several months of use ph was still below 3) 2 gal is more than enough to sanitize carboys and buckets i use (reuse it over and over again)

I typically mix up 2.5 gallons of Star San at a time. I keep what I either don't use, or is clean, in a sealed bucket and keep using it. I also have a spray bottle filled with it. Get the 16oz or 32oz bottle of Star San (cheaper per ounce that way) and use it.

You only need to use a couple of quarts (if that) of Star San solution to sanitize your fermenter. Provided you can slush it around in there. A plastic fermenter should be light enough for you to do that.

I am using stainless fermenting vessels (adapted sanke kegs). I could use steam if I wanted to, but Star San does a fine job of it. Plus, I can move it around in even my large fermenter (a 50L adapted keg). :D I simply seal them up, and make sure it covers everywhere inside. Uncap the fermenter and dump out the Star San (into the bucket I use).

I also like how Star San doesn't use color to indicate effectiveness. Since I'm color blind, that would be an issue. :eek:

Back