Sanitize Bucket Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doublehaul

Reaction score
Silly question - how do you sanitize your bucket fermenter? I've always used glass carboys, put a few gallons of sani-clean water in, cork it, lay it on its side and rotate. My brew bucket has a lid with an airlock hole in it, so I was curious other people's methods. It seems wasteful to fill to the brim with sanitizing solution. I was thinking I could buy a food grade lid with no hole and use my glass sanitizer method, but those lids are kind of a pain

Put in a couple of cups of sanitizer, put your lid on, plug hole with finger, shake to coat all areas. Done.

I used to just fill my bucket with about 3 gallons of One-step and used it to soak all my other equipment for the brew day. Would take a paper towel & wash down the upper part, including lid top. Never had a problem with infections. Now I add an extra step of spraying down the inside with a starsan solution after draining the One-step. Probably overkill, but that's what I do.

Back