Sanitize a juice (puree). How to?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You will get tons of different opinions on here. Mine is just one of many and neither right or wrong. It worked for me...

I had whole cherries...i put them in a pot with a little water. If I remember right I put about 1 1/2 cups of water in 1kg (2.2lbs of cherries). I then put a lid on it. I brought it to a boil then turned it down to a simmer for 10min. I sanatized a potato masher (the one you use by hand) and mashed it all up.

I then dumpt it in my sanatized secondry and let it cool before racking over.

Again, its not the only way, probably not even the best way...but it worked out amazing for me. Some will say in the boil you will lose some flavour. I cant say that I did or didnt. I just know I was very sad to finish the last bottle of my dark wheat beer (with cheeries and cocoa nibs added in secondary) last night.

Hope that helps...

You will get tons of different opinions on here. Mine is just one of many and neither right or wrong. It worked for me...

I had whole cherries...i put them in a pot with a little water. If I remember right I put about 1 1/2 cups of water in 1kg (2.2lbs of cherries). I then put a lid on it. I brought it to a boil then turned it down to a simmer for 10min. I sanatized a potato masher (the one you use by hand) and mashed it all up.

I then dumpt it in my sanatized secondry and let it cool before racking over.

Again, its not the only way, probably not even the best way...but it worked out amazing for me. Some will say in the boil you will lose some flavour. I cant say that I did or didnt. I just know I was very sad to finish the last bottle of my dark wheat beer (with cheeries and cocoa nibs added in secondary) last night.

Hope that helps...

When you used cherries did you remove the pits? I am wanting to brew a cherry apple cider soon.

Yes, pits and all...i would highly suggest using a bag to put the cherries in before putting them in secondary. However, I couldnt get one at the time so I just threw it all in. I was a bit worried about the pits getting stuck when racking over to my priming bucket. I had no problems but I think I may have gotten lucky. So if you can use a bag.

I have heard that leaving the pits in adds a hint of a woody taste. Again, I havent done a batch without but I can tell you I liked what I brewed and some of my buddies I give my beers to said it was one of their favorites.

For what its worth here is a link to the thread I posted asking my questions about how to add cheeries and cocoa nibs. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=434209

You will get lots of different advice.

I've read that boiling fruit sets pectins and causes a permanent haze, so I just pastuerize. Add a little water, heat to 145 and hold for 20 minutes (or 160 F and hold for 10 seconds), then cool.

I've found it takes a long tine to cool, so I just place the lid on the pan, remove from heat and leave overnight.

I would like to add it to secondary.

Boil 1 min ? Add vodka.. How do you do it?

If it's a canned/bottled puree, no need to sanitize it, it's already been done when it was canned/bottled. Otherwise, just use Campden tablets & sanitize the puree before adding it to the wort. You can use a big bowl to do this & really only need a towel to cover it during this process. I've done this several times with good results. Just be sure to wait a full 12 hrs (I've waited as long as 24) before adding to the wort.

Crush the tablet(s) into a powder, mix with a little water (boiled & cooled water) until it dissolves, then add it to the fruit & give it a good stir. 12-24 hrs later, add the fruit to the wort
Regards, GF.

If you want to retain the delicate flavors/aromas of the puree, maybe Campden tablets (sulfites) would be best.

Back