Sanitising Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philjohnwilliams

Reaction score
After years of using bleach to sanitise my brew equipment, i have finally made the switch to StarSan (wish I had done this years ago). My question relates to sanitising bottles. With bleach, I would sanitise bottles while my beer was in the fermenter, giving them a 1 hour soak in bleach and then draining the bottles and covering them with foil. The bottles would then sit until bottling day, when all I had to do was pull the foil and give them a quick rinse. What I am wondering is can I do the same thing with StarSan? It would make bottling day easier if all my bottles were ready to go and all I had to do was pull the foil and fill and cap. Does anybody do this, and is there any possible problem with StarSan drying in the bottles?

After years of using bleach to sanitise my brew equipment, i have finally made the switch to StarSan (wish I had done this years ago). My question relates to sanitising bottles. With bleach, I would sanitise bottles while my beer was in the fermenter, giving them a 1 hour soak in bleach and then draining the bottles and covering them with foil. The bottles would then sit until bottling day, when all I had to do was pull the foil and give them a quick rinse. What I am wondering is can I do the same thing with StarSan? It would make bottling day easier if all my bottles were ready to go and all I had to do was pull the foil and fill and cap. Does anybody do this, and is there any possible problem with StarSan drying in the bottles?

Star San loses its efficacy once it's dry. What I do is fill up a 5 gallon bucket, or the kitchen sink with the mixed solution and dunk all the bottles in. Then take bottles and drain and place them on a bottling tree. Rack the beer and priming solution into the bottling bucket and proceed to bottling. Once all the bottles are filled I cap. It's really a pretty quick and easy deal:)

If your bottles are CLEAN all you have to do on brew day is give each one a spray of Starsan (google vinator) and fill it with beer.
No need to soak bottles in a bucket.

OMO

bosco

boscobeans said:
If your bottles are CLEAN all you have to do on brew day is give each one a spray of Starsan (google vinator) and fill it with beer.
No need to soak bottles in a bucket.

OMO

bosco

Very true, but since I always have a bucket of Star San mix made up its just easier for me to throw them all in and drain:)

Latest posts

Back