Sanitiation question on "Ale Pale"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

celts

Reaction score
I have an Ale Pale that my mom stored kinda roughly. The inside looks fine. No mold growing. I'm going to bleach it overnight and brew an extract tomorrow. My concern comes from the lid. Its all scratched up. Everything else is fine. Should I be concerned about this? Should I buck up and buy a new one or just go for it?

When you say scratched, how deep are we talking? Deeps scratches are more difficult to sanatize and therefore provide unwanted bacteria a place to hide. If you are going to use bleach make sure to use the proper dilution rate specified on the bottle. Generally its 200 parts per million.

I ordered a grommeted lid from Midwest a few months ago for $2.60. Not a giant investment, if you're worried.

do you have any other sanitizer than bleach? I have always thought that bleach leaves odors in plastics. I have been using idophor recently. If it were me I would go get another lid and pick up idophor or star san.

Back