Sanitation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

comicsandbeer83

Reaction score
So I brewed an IPA today and everything went smoothly. But then when I went to siphon out s sample with The Thief to do the OG I forgot to spray the thief with sanitizer spray. I know the thief wasn't grimy and dirty. Last time I used it I rinsed it and put it in my hall closet. But it still bothers me that I may have contaminated my beer. This was before I pitched my yeast also. What are the odds that I messed up my beer? My girlfriend thinks its no big deal probably. As did my local brew shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

They brewed beer for hundreds of years without sanitizers. In any case, you can't undo it. Relax. Don't worry. Have a homebrew.

I couldn't agree more. "Relax. Don't worry. Have a homebrew." I have begun reading the joy of home brewing lately. After just having brewed my third batch... I still can't hear that enough: "Relax. Don't worry. Have a homebrew.

normivey

I couldn't agree more. "Relax. Don't worry. Have a homebrew." I have begun reading the joy of home brewing lately. After just having brewed my third batch... I still can't hear that enough: "Relax. Don't worry. Have a homebrew."

There's a thread devoted to stories of how people did screwups and the beer came out OK. There were worse infractions than using an unsanitized thief. Once, I stuck my bare hand in a kettle of chilled wort to retrieve a hop bag that got partially sucked into the valve inlet. Turned out great.

Your beer will be fine.

Yep! This won't be an issue. The issue will come when you're certain you've done everything perfectly perfect, then develop an infection.
On your favorite style of beer.
With an expensive kit.
and you're thirsty...... ;)

I am also one of those individuals who had to dunk my arm into a batch of cider that was in my fermenter. It didn't turn out great but that was because of my own inabilities, no infection!

Cool thanks. I was worried because also the smell coming out of the air lock is a little weird. Not the hoppy bread smell I'm used to.

Is it not even alarming that the room where the carboy is has a sour smell throughout that is the same as the smell of the beer?

What I am learning now is that there is no way to really tell until you taste it

Back