Sanitation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveooph131

Reaction score
Tomorrow will be my first batch....

What are some good tips to keep in mind when sanatizing. I am going to be using the iodine method. It seems to me, that if you clean everything prior to getting started you risk contamination while the things are lying around waiting to be used.

Sanitize everything that comes in contact with your wort post boil in accordance with your particular sanitizers instructions.

Keep a spray bottle handy to sanitize things on the fly without having to waste too much sanitizer.

If you're using a no-rinse sanitizer (Iodophor) then really, really, really, don't rinse it.

Next!

I keep a bucket of sanitizer with me at all times and anything that I'm not using at the time stays in the bucket. I work in a lab, so I'm pretty instictive about contamination, but basically nothing touches the wort unless it coming directly out of the sanitizer. The spray bottle accomplishes the same thing, I just happen to have a spare bucket.

I keep a large, shallow plastic tray (about 3 feet long by 15 inches wide by about 6 inches deep) on the counter top right next to the sink. I put a gallon or two of sanitizer solution in there (usually Iodophor, so I can just dump it when I'm finished) along with everything I will be using - I can even get my autosiphon and tubing in there completely submerged, along with hydrometer, wine thief, airlock, stoppers, etc. Anything that can't be completely submerged, such as funnels, can be swirled around to sanitize. This makes everything easy to reach - I dip my hands into the solution to make sure they are sanitized, then pick up whatever tool I need. I also keep a gallon jug of sanitizer (Iodophor or Star San) and a spray bottle of Star San nearby.
I think I bought the tray at Target (maybe WalMart ?) - it has a lid, so when I'm finished, I can store all my brewing tools in there and keep them clean.

Soooooo much sanitizer being wasted. Maybe I should found the Save the Sanitizer Foundation and get some government sponsorship to pass out spray bottles and distilled water.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying not to sanitize. I'm just saying it's easier and cheaper to use a spray bottle. So much sanitizer is being wasted by dunkers and soakers.

Sprayers and vinators, unite! Let us free the people from their wasteful methods during this economic crisis! :mug:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying not to sanitize. I'm just saying it's easier and cheaper to use a spray bottle. So much sanitizer is being wasted by dunkers and soakers.

Sprayers and vinators, unite! Let us free the people from their wasteful methods during this economic crisis! :mug:

The Iodophor that I use for soaking is cheap. The peace of mind I get from soaking everything is worth the price. I also use Star San for carboys and buckets and save that for reuse later.

I was planning on using Iodophor to sanatize by bottling bucket and carboy...Would this be sufficient to top them off with water and then apply the right amount of Iod. and let soak for 10 min.?

I was planning on using Iodophor to sanatize by bottling bucket and carboy...Would this be sufficient to top them off with water and then apply the right amount of Iod. and let soak for 10 min.?

Just get enough in there to swirl around you don't need to fill them. Iodophor only needs about 30-60 second contact time.

Allright! I'm a firm soaker but I'll give the spray bottle a try.
How do I spray the inside of my wand, carboys, and such?

Big things like carboys and buckets just pour in a little and swirl as for the wand I always siphon sanitizer through just before bottling/transfer.

Updating
Well I've been using a vinator for bottles since Nov of 2008 and siphoning starsan to sanitize my hoses. This work better than soaking and the starsan lasts much longer.

I'm a believer.

Back